Friday, 25 May 2007

For Adults Only – the monsters that lurk…


From the Editor's Desk

I will be doing a regular Web-Site editorial of South African sites worthy of attention. This week we are featuring The Pedo-File.
This site run by Jacqui Thomas shares some frightening information, information all parents need to be aware of!!




The disclaimer on the site reads:
“Portions of this website may contain graphic images and text, which may offend and/or trigger sensitive viewers and are not recommended for viewing by persons under the age of 18. Viewer discretion is advised.”

WOW – makes one wonder what exactly will be found in the rest of the site? But as parents we owe it to our children to read the information, take in what is being shown, and do whatever it takes to protect them. As I write this my youngest is asleep here next to me, he is only a year old, the picture of innocence itself. I know I will do everything in my power to protect that innocence, including reading what may well be the most disturbing piece of information I have ever read.

Most parents live in complete ignorance of what is happening in today’s society, with internet access freely available in many homes we need to ask ourselves “What exactly are my children doing on-line and exactly what are they being exposed to?”

The site’s Introduction & Mission Statement states:
"My first introduction to the wonders of online communication was in approximately 1996, when I was first connected to the internet. It didn't take long though, before I was also introduced to the world of online predators. At the time, MSN Chatrooms were the "in thing" and, admittedly, I made some very good friends, in particular with one family in the United Kingdom. Jimmy and I have been communicating on and off since then and he has become an integral part of my life both online and off.

What disturbed me most about the chatrooms I frequented was the number of men (in particular, although women were soon to follow) who lurked in these chatrooms, only to make their presence known when a minor entered. As a chatter, I was constantly hit on by these men, who often became quite insistent within a minute or two and who I often had to put on "ignore" to enable my chats with friends. Ultimately, I opted to use MSN Instant Messenger to communicate with my friends, as it was easier and a more pleasant experience, due to the ease with which one could "block" contacts who made a nuisance of themselves.

Over the next few years, I volunteered my services as a chatroom monitor to a number of overseas organisations. Unfortunately, my own country (South Africa) had as yet not felt a need for such a service.

I then went on to study Psychology and Criminology part-time and for a number of years and I temporarily shelved the idea, until one day, while browsing the internet in search of information relating to my studies, I came across a group on the internet who call themselves
"Perverted-Justice" . I immediately registered an account with them, determined to find out everything I possibly could about starting a similar organisation in South Africa. They have proved themselves over and over in the United States and I can only hope that The Pedo-File will, one day, have a similar impact in South Africa. "

Really disturbing, read further…

"Self-appointed "Online Sexual Offences Monitor" drops a Bombshell. For just one moment, put yourself in this mother's shoes:
You've had a hard day at work, you've made supper, done homework, and settled your children down for the night. It's time to kick back and relax, so you sit down at your desk and log into your PC to check your mail. Little do you know that what is to follow, will not only enrage you, but will sicken you to the very core of your being.
You see that someone has logged into MSN and forgotten to log out again. Your curiosity gets the better of you and you click on the tab “Archived Messages”. What you're expecting to see is the idle banter of two young friends chatting, but what you see is something quite different.

You are reading an article written by a self-appointed “Online Sexual Offences Monitor”. Now before you go calling me a vigilante, read the following excerpts from a recent chat my underage persona had, and tell me that what I am doing is unnecessary or unjustified:

Read the conversation that took place here.

It seems to me that there must be a “Perv's Handbook” out there that all of these creeps read. The questions used to establish the true age of the minor with whom they are corresponding seem to be pre-written. And don't be fooled into thinking that they are only after teenagers or simple "roleplaying". I have had similar conversations under the persona of a 10 year old too. This particular chat was with someone overseas, but could just have easily been with a local. Sadly, the chats my persona has had with locals have been much more graphic and in several instances, the perv has tried to make arrangements to meet in person.

From recent news headlines, I see that there have been changes made to our Sexual Offences Bill and that there is a possibility that South Africa may soon have its own Sexual Offenders Register. Until then, as a parent of three minor children, I appeal to you: Be very aware.

Don't ever assume that your children could/would not become prey to this type of villain. It is out there. It is happening - whether you want to believe it or not.

All that stands between them and your children is YOU.

Be there for them. "

Please visit this site along with Pink Ladies for more information, you owe it to your kids; you owe it to yourself.

Pink Ladies whose primary occupation is the tracing and returning of missing / endangered children and adults, has also recently launched “Project Teen Talk” which offers an alternative secure, moderated message board & three chat rooms.

Pink Ladies will be featured in a future Web-Site Editorial.







1 friendly banter:

AngelConradie said...

its truly frightening...