Wednesday, 06 June 2007

I'M THE MOST PRIVILEGED GRANNY!

by 'Glen'

It’s true.
When you are present at the birth of a baby, that baby steals a portion of your heart for life.
It’s so true!
Especially when that baby is your first grandchild! His heart is imprinted on your soul forever. Unconditional love with no option or choice, instantly!
My experience began with the ante-natal classes where I was the ‘dad’ for the duration of Angel’s pregnancy. These sessions were mind boggling (for me any way). I already had four babies of my own and assumed I knew it all. At thirty six I was about to become a Granny and I discovered I knew NOTHING about childbirth and new babies. I knew even less about epidurals, forceps, caesareans, breech babies, premature babies and so much more that the brain blows a fuse.
However, I did learn about daddy’s-to-be who felt squeamish at the mere sight of the implements in a text book. Many a daddy had to sit with his head between his knees in those classes. The educational movies on childbirth are filmed with a ‘full frontal’ view of the mother during the birthing process and that is hard on the eyes for anyone! Dads usually stand at the mother’s shoulder during the birthing process - well in my experience that is. I must say that I still can’t get my head around the epidural part for childbirth. I do not believe that the chemicals they use are of any advantage to the mother or the baby. But I digress.
The classes prepared us as well as possible for the pending happy event. As usual, our darling boy decided that midnight was a good time to start making it known that he was ready to see us all. D-day had finally arrived!!
Although my heart was torn between pity for my Angel and her pain, sadness that she had to go through all this at the tender age of seventeen, my heart still skips faster when I remember the birth of darling Damien. When the nurse connected the heart monitor and the labour pain monitor and I heard Damien’s little heart beat I cried. It was too awesome for words. When I heard his heart beat quicken with the intensity of each contraction I was blown away.
Angel was so brave. She was blessed by a quick labour for a first baby and the birth was relatively easy. She did it all the totally natural way as God created us to do (apart from which we could not afford the alternative choices). I can still see his little head of black hair emerging and then hear his cries of indignation at being exposed to the light and air! He was the most beautiful baby! Perfect.
My heart was lost.
Permanently.
Angel and Damien were the focus of all of us in the theatre. I have no idea what anybody else in that theatre looked like or what they were doing. All I had eyes for were Angel and baby Damien. He had lots of dark hair where my babies were all so fair and had very little hair until they were nearly two!
I was intrigued by what happened to our new born baby once he was born, because even after four of my own natural births I had never seen or thought about it. The suctioning, the wiping clean, the keeping warm, the weighing, the measuring, the checking of reflexes – let me tell you, new born babies are as hard to measure as a wriggling python! It amused me immensely to see them attempting to measure our squirming little Damien! Even then he was wiggling and squirming around!
Then off we went to the nursery where he was dressed and I had the huge honour of giving my first grandchild a bottle of some or other liquid to drink, to cuddle him and breathe in the amniotic smell of a new baby. That intimate smell only lasts for a short time (thereafter they smell like Elizabeth Anne babies!!).
My attention was drawn away from our little dark haired bundle to the smiling new fathers in the nursery. No, not smiling, BEAMING, shining, bursting with pride and joy! The sensation of excitement in the nursery was almost tangible. I finally dragged myself away from drooling over my precious Damien to telephone his ‘Grampa’ to fetch me. I fully grasp the reason why we always get the news of a new baby so long after the birth. When you are the father it feels like a matter of a few seconds before you get to call anyone.
I popped in to see how Angel was. I was so elated by my experience I could have done cartwheels in the corridor! Angel was fine, Damien was fine and I was buzzing with a current of joy, amazement and love for my little grandson. As usual Duck’s common sense prevailed and he dragged me away at five a.m. to get some rest. We were going to visit later after all!
Rest! With all that excitement in my heart and soul? Not easily I can assure you! I ran on adrenalin for the next few days.
I have never said thank you, dearest Angel-mine, for having me with you, for bestowing such an honour on me. Circumstances happened so that it panned out that way I know. It does not make me any less grateful for the privilege of sharing such a precious moment in time with you and your Damien. I am thankful to my Father above for blessing me with such an almighty experience.
Damien – thank you for your loving nature. Your beautiful brown eyes, warm smile and huge hugs give me so much joy! You have a very special piece of my heart. It’s the part with you imprinted on it, so please, be a good person, be cautious in your decisions and take good care of my piece of heart okay?

Also check out Angel's blog, this piece was written by her "mommy darling" as frequently refered to in her blog.

4 friendly banter:

AngelConradie said...

don't you just love it! am i blessed ot what!!?!

AngelConradie said...

mommy darling- saying it was a pleasure couldn't begin to be enough! i wouldn't ever have wanted anyone else there with me!!!

Crunchy Annie said...

Angel - you are truly blessed to have such a fantastic mom!!!

Suray said...

Very touching... It's very happy to read your post. Remarkable.. Oh by the way, if you have any free time, visit my blog at http://surayblog.blogspot.com